First of all, thanks to Dianne
and John Challis and Peter Lamond for giving a hand.
John and Dianne were early to arrive.
John is a beefy bloke and with my experience with shoving the
things around we decided to get started a little early, that
is before Peter had a chance to get there.. so here we are talking
First we man handled the port hull
over toward the tent side and then just pushed it over.... We
had a line running from a tent pole over the hull and down to
a clamp on the sheer line so that the fall was slowed by paying
out the line as it fell. You can see the lines at right side
Then drag it back over to the side...
And once over as far as we can go...
hoist her up.
Kay is managing a line to prevent
it from going over further than we want.
I had some massive hard wood planks
to fit under the hulls by the bulkheads and whilst the guys lifted
the hull, Kay was putting in carpet pads.
OK... one down...
Dianne is working the line and I
am hanging on to help slow it after it achieved the tip over
OK... on .. one two threeeee....
Same thing and Dianne is managing
the control line.
Peter showed up as we were ready
to fit this hull to blocks so he grabbed the bow and drug the
thing to position..
Aand Peter hoisted the stern whilst
John inserted the block aft.
They needed more planks/blocks to
get the hulls off the ground and more level. The ground has a
little slope to it.
There... got it!
Time to get rid of the temporary
Then I lifted the hulls and put in
a good straight plank across to use to find level between the
hulls. I used wedges driven in under the bottom planks to align
the supports and level.
Then dug under the supports and mixed
up some concrete to establish a sound foundation.
There... now the hulls are level
athwarptships and the hulls can be moved about to align to each
other. At this time I didn't level fore and aft. I did do that
later by jacking and shimming.
Now to install and repair the full
width structural bulkheads
Just eye-balling the hulls position
was surprising close. Attaching the two halfs was a mere nudge
here and there to align. I used a tape measure run from the transoms
to the bow at the waterline across.. that is measuring diagonaly,
and got to within 3mm! Good enough for me. A measure across the
bows also indicated exactly the correct width at the centreline
of the hulls. And... the chamfer panels fit nicely against the
angle on the bulkhead panels though I did have to brace here
and there when taping. I raised up a table so I could mix epoxy
and wet tapes whilst in the hulls.
No evil surprises... everything fit
and alignment was very satisfactory.