The centre section in the lower deck
had already been cut away and the piece saved. This is to be
the kick up rudder cassette. I placed the full width deck panel
there to keep from breaking legs.... but is not fastened yet.
The upper aft deck panel is a 20mm foam section laminated with
800 DB. Because there was some torturing invovled to obtain a
modest compound curve, the upper deck panel was taped an angle
at a time. Get one right and once set, tackle another side.
As shown here the panel is already taped
at the far end. I have it screwed down to the rudder bulkhead
to hold it down but do not have support along the keel panel
side so working from scaffaolding so my weight doesn't distort
the edge while I work. Here I have the coving done and working
on the other side. Kay taking the photos. Very narrow time slot
to work to avoid outgassing of the duflex and before the rising
humidity and loss of sunlight. Did both hulls.
I left the edge of the panel hanging
off as wasn't sure yet if it should be cut. Once I investigated
mounting the outboards it was apparent it was OK to cut and did
The hatches have been cut and the cutout
piece was glued onto a piece of 9mm ply with 1 inch overhang
all around. The top of the ply was laminated with light woven
Looking through the hatch you can see
the sub deck I installed earlier.
Closer look into the sub deck area.
Did these late and ran so low on light was working by brail.
photos not an option at the time.
In the lower decks we made voids.
I used the glass angles made as
in this page, but when I ran out I stuck in pieces of treated
timber which I glued and taped in.
The centre part of the lower aft deck
panels have been cut away and saved to incorporate into the cassettes.
The remainders have been fastedened in with a heavy glue mix
and plenty of it! I wanted to make sure the box was water tight
before I worked on the top tapes.
Here I have shaped the edges and applied
the coving. Notice the time on the clock... 0522.. a little early
to work on the sunny side of the tent so did the taping on the
port side hull first.
As normal, all materials have been cut
and prepared... speed deffinately counts.
This photo taken at a latter date shows
the whole thing done up.